I think we all remember that week in grade school when, while reading Romeo and Juliet, everyone was biting their thumbs at other people.
Don’t even pretend like you didn’t do it at least once.
Funny anecdote: When my class read Romeo and Juliet, our English teacher explained to us that “biting your thumb” in that time was the equivalent of giving the middle finger. Then, as we read through the play, our teacher asked a shy male student to pantomime biting his thumb. “Are you sure?” the student said, looking confused. Our English teacher kept urging him to do it, so, slowly, the student gave the middle finger to the teacher and the entire class, instead of biting his thumb like the teacher intended. Needless to say, we all cracked up.
“It doesn’t matter, any way you slice it I’m going to bleed you dry.”
New ‘Admission’ Stills
With all the constant (and annoying) complaining going on about Justin Bieber hosting, people seem to forget or just not realize how good this season of Saturday Night Live has been post-Kristen Wiig. Let’s just take a look:
- Cecily Strong has quietly become a solid cast member. So far this season, she is the only other cast member to have a new character (The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation with At a Party), and her and Aidy are the only ones to have their own new reoccurring sketch (Girlfriends Talk Show)
- Jason Sudeikis is sticking around for the whole season. At one time, there was concern that he could be gone around January. But Lorne cleared up all concerns over that
- Even though Andy is no longer in the cast, we still got a brand new Digital Short “YOLO”. This was a brand new song by The Lonely Island.
- Speaking of The Lonely Island, we’re in an era with no more digital shorts and we still have gotten high quality short films. They’re not just what we’re used to seeing either. We still get musical ones (Sloppy Swish) and the comical ones, but we also got “Sad Mouse”, a really good short film that was pretty touching and heart warming. That was something we haven’t seen in a SNL short film in years
- Aidy Bryant is starting to get put in more sketches. After re-watching that “Catfish” sketch, she is starting to give off these “Rachel Dratch” like vibes, which is a very good thing
- Fred Armisen is still going strong after all these years. Some people are ready for him to move on, but it’s not like he’s gone stale though. He still puts out strong performances
- Bobby Moynihan is great and more people are starting to know this
- Kate McKinnon
- This season has been giving us more of those weird “probably written at 4 AM” type sketches this year that we all love
- Jay Pharoah has done a great job as taking over the Obama impression, improving each week in the voice and the mannerisms of President Obama. I know some still like Fred, but that’s how it is with impressions. You bring your own take on how it’s done
- Seth Meyers is still holding up great at doing Update. He’s been at the desk longer than anyone else and everyone still loves him and his interactions he has with other cast members
- Kenan is the longest tenured African American cast member in the history of the show.
- We got two “Weekend Update Thursday” specials this year
- Kate McKinnon’s impression of Ann Romney which EVERYBODY loves
- The Christmas episode hosted by Martin Short
I mean, there are a lot of stuff that some just lose sight of so quickly and don’t realize just how great this year has been so far. I didn’t get to Bill Hader and Taran Killam as those two can just fill up a list on their own. Of course there will be complaints, if you watch any television show long enough, you can begin to nitpick and complain about anything in it. I guess what I’m trying to say is that chill out, and be entertained by the shows this season because they have been really good, given the fact that this season could’ve easily gone the other way with no Kristen Wiig and no Andy Samberg
Wonderful post is wonderful.
Joel Mchale at Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
I can’t hear you over the sound of adorable baby Abed.